Alpha Kappa Delta
The Sociology Honor Society
The Sociology & Anthropology Department is proud to house the Gamma of Rhode Island chapter of Alpha Kappa Delta, the International Sociology Honor Society. The name, Alpha Kappa Delta, represents the first three letters of three Greek words: anthropon (mankind), katamanthanein (to investigate thoroughly or to conduct research) and diakonesein (for the purpose of service). The name, freely interpreted, signifies social research for the purpose of service. There are more than 500 chapters of the society. The department inducts new members each spring and senior members are provided with an honor cord to wear at graduation. Since its founding in 2006, the PC Sociology & Anthropology department has inducted over 100 members into Alpha Kappa Delta.
Eligibility for membership is based on the following criteria:
- Be a declared Sociology major (junior standing or higher)
- Have taken at least 4 sociology courses
- Hold a minimum GPA of 3.4
- Be ranked in the top 35% of their PC class
- Membership is for a lifetime.
- Every new initiate receives a certificate of membership and membership card.
- Free one-year subscription to Sociological Inquiry, the official journal of AKD.
- Access to the AKD Newsletter, election materials, and other services.
- AKD sponsors undergraduate and graduate student paper contests for members to win cash prizes and travel money to participate in the annual American Sociological Association meeting. (First place winners are eligible to have their papers published in Sociological Inquiry.)
- AKD provides a grant for initiation speakers, funds student travel and chapter representative travel to regional sociological meetings, and funds research symposia to active chapters.
- AKD sponsors an AKD Teaching and Learning Workshop at regional sociology meetings.
- AKD sponsors a Distinguished Lecture series at the Annual Meeting of the American Sociological Association, and contributes annually to the ASA Minority Scholarship Fund.
- Members may purchase AKD lapel pins, and other memorabilia including t-shirts and sweatshirts.
- AKD members who become Civil Service employees meet one of the requirements for entrance at the GS-7 level (an increase in pay-grade) if they list AKD membership on their applications (providing they enter at the GS-5 level).